In today’s digital age, online advertising plays a crucial role in the success of hotels. It helps them reach a wider audience and generate more bookings. One such powerful advertising platform is Google Hotel Ads, which enables hotels to showcase their offerings to potential guests.
But before we walk you through the process of using Google Ads for your hotel and optimizing your campaigns to drive more bookings, let us first understand what a Google Hotel Ad is.
What are Google Hotel Ads?
Google Hotel Ads (GHAs) are a type of online advertising specifically designed for the hotel industry. They allow hotels to display their rates, availability, and other relevant information to potential guests, right when they are actively searching for accommodations. With these travel ads, hotels can present their properties and offerings in a visually appealing and informative manner, capturing the attention of potential guests.
What are the benefits of a Google Hotel Ad?
Google Hotel Ads offers several benefits that can significantly impact your hotel’s revenue and online visibility:
- Increased Visibility: Your hotel appears prominently in relevant search results, reaching a wider audience of potential guests.
- Targeted Reach: GHAs allow you to target specific geographic locations, languages, and device types, ensuring your ads reach the right audience.
- Direct Bookings: By enabling users to book directly through the ad, you can drive more direct bookings, reducing dependencies on third-party channels.
- Improved ROI: With a pay-per-click model, you only pay when a user clicks on your ad, making it a cost-effective advertising option.
- Enhanced Guest Experience: Detailed information and user reviews available on Google Hotel Ads help guests make informed decisions, leading to more satisfied customers.
What is the Difference between Google Ads and Google Hotel Ads?
While Google Ads (formerly known as Google AdWords) is a broader online advertising platform, Google Hotel Ads are specifically tailored for the hotel industry. The key differences include:
- Intent-driven targeting: GHAs leverage the intent of travelers actively searching for accommodations, allowing you to connect with potential guests at the right moment.
- Detailed hotel information: GHAs enable hotels to showcase specific details such as rates, availability, photos, and amenities, creating a more immersive and informative advertising experience.
What’s the Difference between Google Hotel Ads, OTAs, and Tripadvisor?
Google Hotel Ads, Online Travel Agencies (OTAs), and Tripadvisor serve different purposes in the hotel industry. Understanding their distinctions can help you make informed advertising decisions:
Google Hotel Ads: With Google Hotel Ads, hotels can advertise directly to potential guests on Google’s platforms, gaining more control over their online presence and bookings.
OTAs: Online Travel Agencies act as intermediaries between hotels and travelers, offering a wide range of accommodations from various properties.
Tripadvisor: Tripadvisor is a popular travel website that provides travelers with reviews, recommendations, and the ability to book accommodations. It aggregates information from hotels and other sources.
How is a Google Hotel Ad different from a Free Booking Link?
Google Hotel Ads and Free Booking Links are two different options hotels can utilize to increase their online visibility and bookings:
Google Hotel Ads: These are paid advertisements that allow hotels to showcase their properties and drive bookings through Google’s platforms.
Free Booking Links: Free Booking Links are an additional feature provided by Google that allows hotels to participate in the booking process without paying for the ad placement. However, they may have more limited visibility compared to paid Google hotel booking ads.
Now that we have a fair understanding of what GHA is, we need to understand where do they appear. This understanding will help us optimize these travel ads better.
Where do Google Hotel Ads Appear?
Google Hotel Ads have prime visibility across multiple platforms. They appear in various locations to maximize exposure and reach potential guests:
Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs)
A Google Hotel Ad can appear prominently at the top of relevant search results, showing your hotel’s details, rates, and availability.
When users search for accommodations in a specific location on Google Maps, a Google Hotel Ad can appear as a part of the search results, allowing users to easily find and book your hotel.
Google Hotel Ads are also featured on the Google Travel platform, providing travelers with a comprehensive overview of available hotels, rates, and booking options.
How will a Google Hotel Ad Appear on Mobile Devices?
Mobile devices play a significant role in travel planning and booking. Google Hotel Ads are optimized for mobile devices, ensuring that your ad reaches and engages potential guests on smartphones and tablets.
These ads are designed to provide a seamless user experience, with responsive design elements and compelling visuals. By catering to mobile users, Google Hotel Ads capture the attention of on-the-go travelers and facilitate convenient booking experiences.
By appearing prominently in search results, Google Maps, and Google Travel, hotels can showcase their offerings and attract bookings. The ability to target users with intent-driven ads and provide detailed information sets Google Hotel Ads apart from other advertising options.
However, to harness the power of Google hotel booking ads, we need to understand how they work.
How does Google Hotel Ads work?
Google Hotel Ads work by displaying your hotel’s information and rates to potential guests at the moment they are searching for accommodations. Here’s a step-by-step breakdown of how it works:
- Hotels provide their rates, availability, and other relevant information to Google.
- When a user searches for hotels in a specific location and date, Google’s algorithm matches their search intent with available hotel options.
- Google Hotel Ads appear in various places, such as search results, Google Maps, and Google Travel.
- Users can view details about the hotel, including rates, amenities, reviews, and even book directly through the ad.
What are the different Google Hotel Ad Strategies?
To make the most of your Google Hotel Ads campaigns, consider implementing the following strategies:
- Optimize Your Listing: Ensure your hotel’s information, including rates, availability, and amenities, is accurate and up to date.
- Utilize High-Quality Images: Showcase your hotel’s features and unique selling points with captivating visuals to attract potential guests.
- Set Competitive Rates: Stay competitive by offering rates that are attractive to users while considering your hotel’s value proposition.
- Leverage Targeting Options: Use geographic targeting, device targeting, and language targeting to reach your ideal audience.
- Monitor and Optimize: Continuously track the performance of your ads, including click-through rates and conversions, and make necessary adjustments to improve results.
- Consider Bid Adjustments: Adjust your bids based on factors such as seasonality, demand, and competitor activity to optimize ad visibility and budget allocation.
However, for Google Hotel Ads to hotels’ online visibility and drive more direct bookings, it’s crucial to set up and manage the ad campaigns effectively.
How to Run a Successful Google Hotel Ad Campaign: A Step-by-Step Guide
How to Set Up a Google Hotel Ad Campaign
- Create a Google Ads Account: Sign up for a Google Ads account if you don’t already have one.
- Link Your Account to Google Hotel Center: Connect your Google Ads account with Google Hotel Center to access hotel-specific features.
- Define Campaign Settings: Set your campaign parameters, such as budget, location targeting, language preferences, and ad scheduling.
- Set Up Ad Groups: Organize your ads into relevant ad groups based on criteria like location, room types, or promotions.
- Create Compelling Ad Copy: Craft engaging ad copy that highlights your hotel’s unique selling points and encourages users to book directly.
- Define Bids: Determine your bidding strategy, either manually or automated, to optimize your campaign’s performance.
Learn how Northern Light Inn increased its website revenue by 217% in 1 year
Which GHA Bid Strategy Should You Choose
- Cost-per-Click (CPC): With CPC bidding, you pay when someone clicks on your ad. It allows you to control your costs and is suitable for campaigns focused on driving website traffic or direct bookings.
- Commission-Based (CPA): This bidding strategy allows you to pay a commission fee based on a percentage of the booking value. It’s ideal if you want to optimize for conversions while aligning your costs with revenue generated.
- Enhanced CPC (eCPC): With eCPC, Google adjusts your manual bids in real-time to maximize conversions. It’s a good option if you want to automate bid adjustments while maintaining control over your campaign.
How to Track Conversions from Google Hotel Ads
- Set Up Conversion Tracking: Implement Google Ads conversion tracking code on your booking confirmation page to track completed bookings.
- Track Specific Actions: Define additional conversion actions, such as newsletter sign-ups or contact form submissions, to gauge the effectiveness of your campaign in driving various goals.
- Use Google Analytics: Integrate Google Ads with Google Analytics to gain deeper insights into user behavior, conversion paths, and overall campaign performance.
How to Measure the Success of a Google Ad Campaign for Hotels
- Key Performance Indicators (KPIs): Identify relevant KPIs, such as click-through rate (CTR), conversion rate, cost per conversion, return on ad spend (ROAS), and revenue generated.
- Google Ads Reporting: Utilize the reporting features within Google Ads to analyze campaign performance, track KPIs, and identify areas for improvement.
- Attribution Models: Choose the most appropriate attribution model, such as last-click or linear, to understand how different touchpoints contribute to conversions and optimize your ad spend accordingly.
Learn how Hotel Arnica achieved an average ROAS of close to 20X
Running a Google Hotel Ad campaign requires careful planning, strategic bidding, and diligent tracking and measurement. But with the right understanding of GHA, and by setting up the campaign effectively, hotels can maximize their online visibility and drive higher direct bookings at a higher return on investment.
Ready to elevate your hotel’s advertising game with Google Hotel Ads? Contact our team to learn more about setting up and managing your hotel ad campaigns for optimal results.
Learn how hotels are improving ROI from online bookings with Google Hotel Ads